Thursday, February 12, 2009

i hate this morning. but i dont hate this picture.

one of my favorite people ever took this picture. her name is sarah. she took me out to breakfast on my birthday and we chatted about gremlins, drank coffee and ate smoked gouda omelettes... well, i did. she can't eat dairy. anyway, it was the perfect way to start of a near-perfect birthday. she picked me up and gave me flowers because she is a lovely person. AND she bought me breakfast. i love her. really.

i think i've been really lucky. i was thinking about how this was one of the best birthdays ever, and then i realized how almost every birthday i've ever had has been awesome. there was the year with the surprise party that everyone was in on, including my hairdresser. then there was the year that someone flew my sister in from san diego as a birthday surprise. when i was turning 13 maybe... maybe 14... my parents surprised me -again, all my friends knew- with a limo for my birthday. for a 13/14 year old girl, this is amazing. i just walked outside after school and there it was, with a big "happy birthday" banner, and it took me and my posse around town, to the pizza place we all looooooved, probably some other places that i don't remember... sure, i've had some crappy birthdays, as we all have, but i would have to say that the majority have been wonderful. and for those of you who don't know, my birthday is my favorite day of the year. the reason for this, aside from the obvious points of being showered with attention and gifts all day long, is that i have 7 sisters. and i am right smack dab in the middle. so its easy for things to be forgotten or overlooked just because there are so many of us. my birthday is the only day that is just for me. i don't have to share that with anyone. in fact, no one else even has a birthday in september. 3 of my sisters have to share the month of october. 2 of them have to share the same day, and they arent twins.

anyhow, i love my birthday. i love getting the birthday phonecalls, cards, hugs, love and the like from all my friends and family. this year was the first time, though, that i actually decided to get in on the action myself. yes, i participated in the showering of gifts and love to myself! if you've never done this before, you should. its actually a lot more awesome then it sounds. send yourself a birthday card. in the mail. whats particularly rad about this is that by the time you receive it you've forgotten that you sent it and it makes you giggle a little. part two to this is that the older you get, the less cards you tend to receive in the mail for whatever reason... this is assurance that you will receive at least one card in the mail. give yourself the birthday present of not making concrete plans, and go where the day takes you. take a camera when you do this. eat every meal with a different friend, or friends. doll yourself up. get drunk on sangria by 2. buy yourself a gift. in my case, i treated myself to jewelry from tiffany's and lacy underwear. make sure at least ONE person sings you happy birthday, and make sure that you blow out at least ONE candle. if necessary, carry it with you just in case everyone else overlooked this critical element. how the hell are you supposed to make a wish if you don't have a candle to blow out?!? and while it seems a little pathetic, maybe, to bring your own birthday candle, i look at it more as being prepared. know how i know this? because i was NOT prepared this time, and we had to use a table candle for the wish-making extravaganza. it worked fine, but didnt really fit on the cupcake. i wish i could tell you that my wish came true, but i honestly have no idea what i wished for. my life is pretty complete, so i'm not sure what i could've even asked for without being greedy. maybe i wished for a pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment