Sunday, June 21, 2009

dance pants

so, this is going to be a quick one because there's a meeting i want to go to this morning, but just wanted to give a quick update...

so, i went to the broken spoke last night. and i did NOT find myself a rich man from the oil industry or otherwise. but i DID have tons of fun. this place was great, although at first it made me a little nervous... it was very thelma and louise- the dancehall- and i kept hoping to not get raped out in the back parking lot because i am really not prepared for a crime spree and to drive off a cliff. but it wasnt anything like that. this place is like, REAL texas. with people from texas, and not at all the downtown kind of folk you find on 6th street. no, ma'am. this place was full of cowboy boots and bolo ties and button up shirts. and every single person that i met was so incredibly nice. one gentlemen asked if i knew anyone in austin and i told him no, so he introduced me to half the place. the gentlemen (and i say this in all sincerity- they were all real, live gentlemen) complimented my dancing and asked how i learned to dance that well way out in california.



and i realized something last night about country music. it is just nice. the people are nice. there is nothing about it that is about being too cool, or aloof, or pretentious. there was nothing about looking great on the dance floor. i know this because not a single person in there knew how well or how poorly i dance, and yet they asked anyway, although at one point, someone told me i'd have no problem keeping up with anyone in that room. i walked in during the last half of the song the band was playing (the band was really good, by the way) and was asked to dance for just about every single song that was played from that point on. i two-stepped, i jitterbugged, i swing danced my little heart to contentment. and aside from concentrating on my footwork, a smile never lefdt my face. the second realization i made last night, though, is that for whatever reason, as far as country dancing goes, there is nothing weird or creepy about dancing with a man old enough to be your dad, if not older. i think out of the entire night, i danced with one, ONE, person that wasnt old enough to have been my dad and it was totally great. seriously. almost everyone in there was well into their middle ages, and maybe its just the honesty of country music, or being in a real, old country music bar, but i felt totally comfortable and at home for the few hours i was there. so i may still have to figure out a way to pay my rent, but i still did not leave empty handed.

*************************************************************************************Sidenote: as I'm writing this, a homeless man sitting at the coffee shop next to me struck up a conversation, first about my earrings. we got to talking a little more, he told me he was on his way to church, i told him where i was on my way to (and cried a little, because thats what i do) and he said something that for whatever reason, really touched me (which of course made me cry a little more) and i want to remember it always.

No comments:

Post a Comment